It is truly a blessing to work with people who are committed to their overall health, including oral health, and to provide them with the priceless gift of a beautiful and healthy smile.
As an orthodontist, I feel I have changed lives, one smile at a time, by giving both children and adults the confidence to smile and strive for their goals and dreams. There are many studies on the impact of a smile, both on the giver and the receiver: all positive!
Imagine going through life feeling as if you had to hide your smile: That really detracts from your ability to make connections with others and erodes your confidence. Those are the people I LOVE to help – I was one of them, as a kid, and orthodontic treatment obviously had a lasting, positive impact on my life!
— Dr. Tammy R. Severt
- Bachelor of Science in Biology, Appalachian State University in Boone, graduated summa cum laude
- Doctorate of Dental Surgery, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
- Master of Science and Orthodontic Residency/Certificate of Orthodontics, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, first recipient of the Andrew McArthur Brooks Memorial Fellowship
Dr. Severt strives to be the best orthodontist she can be, using different treatment modalities in order to provide patients with the best treatment outcomes. Through continuing education, she stays current on new technologies, techniques, and emerging research. Each year she attends orthodontic meetings, seminars, and lectures, learning from the leading practitioners and researchers in the specialty.
Upon completion of her orthodontic training and master’s thesis, in 1997, Dr. Severt moved to Shelby, NC, to work full time in practice with Dr. Thomas Brown. After two years in Shelby, she felt the pull of Chapel Hill and returned in 1999 to work with Dr. Bill Davis. In August 2000, Dr. Severt purchased Dr. Davis’ Chapel Hill (established in 1967) and Pittsboro (established in 1980) practices.
- American Association of Orthodontists
- American Dental Association
- North Carolina Association of Orthodontists
- North Carolina Dental Society
- Durham-Orange County Dental Society
- University of North Carolina Orthodontic Alumni Association
Dr. Severt and her team members love supporting the Salvation Army Christmas Angel program. Each Christmas, they purchase gifts for 18-20 children in Orange, Chatham, and Durham counties. Additionally, Dr. Severt supports multiple charities, schools, and programs.
Beyond the Practice
Dr. Severt grew up in Jefferson, in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. She’s called Chapel Hill home for 25 of the past 27 years. When not creating smiles, Dr. Severt is usually enjoying time with her husband, Dr. Dale Thompson, their daughter Mariella, and the family cat, Jack.
When time allows, Dr. Severt loves to travel, read great books, and watch period dramas, such as Downton Abbey and Poldark.